New ship meshes, missiles, distant planets, space jump gates to nowhere! I uploaded a new version.
- New mesh designs for the enemy fighters. I think that look pretty cool. Not too original but I am excited to get the hang of it. Really this mesh is probably the mesh of the player ship or at least human style fighters. Alien races will have more interesting looks.
- Targeted Missiles: Center mouse or left cmd key (left alt on PC? not sure) to lock on. And then Right click or option button since I just realized that it wont work in a browser game… mash some keys to see what does what i suppose – to launch missile
- Capital Ship: Its just a place holder experiment. It has turrets that can be destroyed. The rest of the ship cannot. Will be working on a 3D mesh for cap ships and turrets so we can get rid of giant rectangles.
- Distant Planet background: Now the planets are set in a 3D sky box of sorts using a camera trick. Unlike normal sky boxes, you can actually move closer to the planets — when you get close enough it will one day ask if you want to land… not yet. I think you end up flying through the planet at the moment, but it will take longer than most attention spans to do this.
- Jump Gate: Spinning blueish particle thing. I am working on this concept, probably will oneday look more like a nebula cloud or something. Anyway now it jumps you to another scene in which I think controls are messed up and everything is broken – yay!
Anyway, not a huge amount of progress really. The AI still stinks and there isn’t really a game or mission or anything but turrets and bad guys that attack and the satisfying feeling of watching the enemy explode when they get hit by a missile is nice.
- AI Choosing Targets Script – move away from just focusing on the player will allow NPC friendlies and we can set up real battles.
- Friendly ships, non-combatants (helpless space miners being chased by pirates?)
- AI Behaviors – Patrol points, search and destroy, defend, attack, flee, tactical moves, etc. Expect a few of these soon.
- Working jumps to other sectors. Will just take some time to figure out how to make it work.
- Ship meshes – more and probably more component based so we can build and modify them in game. Front middle and back portions that you can swap. Cap ships will probably be built out of lots of middles parts. Also had some ship model ideas:
– Porcupine Class – two top mounted missile launch boxes with semi-guided missiles – fires like 6 from each box
– ECM Class – creates interference over a set radius that shows up on radar like additional ships – masking actual ship locations
– Capital Ship with Launch Bay for Fighters
- More weapons –
– Energy weapons that are strong but get weaker over distance
– Classes of projectile weapons – light, medium, heavy, capital
– Different Missile Types:
– Dumbfire – they fire straight at what you point them at – good for slow moving / stationary targets
– Targeted – initial lock-on followed by dumbfire behavior
– Seeking – lock on that must reacquire target after a certain turn radius – can get confused by counter measures
– Guided – lock on and chases target – most accurate